Congress should eliminate the President’s authority to designate national monuments by executive order
Disposition of existing National Monuments created by executive order
- Congress should review each existing National Monument and decides whether to designate it a National Park
- If Congress does not designate it a National Park the land should be auctioned with no minimum bid
- Any person or entity, except the Federal Government, may bid
Management of National Parks
National Parks should be managed to facilitate pedestrian use
- Existing hard surface roads and trails should be upgraded to water-permeable hard surfaces
- Bicycles should be allowed on all hard surface roads and trails
- Roads and trails should be improved to ADA compliant to the extent possible
- Privately Operated Vehicles should generally be prohibited within a National Park. Exceptions should be allowed for:
- Highways that go through the park but are not designed to facilitate access to the park
- People that live in the National Park
- Utility and supply vehicles for vendors licensed to do business within the park
- Parking structures large enough to accommodate peak visitors should be built at each park entrance
- Mass transit should be used on existing hard surface roads.
All electricity should be provided by solar power generated and stored on site
All other power and heat should be provided by wood fires
- Wood for fires should be salvaged from dead wood salvaged from within a national park
- Each park should burn dead wood salvaged from within the park first
- If sufficient wood cannot be salvaged to meet the park’s needs, the park can purchase wood salvaged from other national parks
There are 566 recognized Indian Tribes living on more than 600 reservations
Hard facts if you are Native American:
|INDICATOR||General Pop||Indian Pop|
|W/O HS Diploma||15%||24%|
|Bachelor Degree or higher||28%||13%|
|In Labor Force||65%||50%|
|Median household income||$50,221.00||$35,381.00|
|Per capita income||$26,409.00||$16,161.00|
|No health insurance||15%||29%|
|Poverty rate (all families)||11%||23%|
Why? The reservation system has effectively created ethnic ghettos that keep Native Americans segregated and poor. A system which segregates and punishes a segment of society based on ethnicity is inherently unjust.
We need to eradicate this injustice.
We need to:
- Eliminate the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Form each tribe into a Federally Chartered co-op.
- Transfer all tribal assets, including all reservation land, to the co-op. This will effectively liquidate all reservations.
- Each member of the tribe owns one share of the co-op
- Set the initial value of the co-op shares by:
- Determining the total value of all property held by the tribe;
- Dividing that number by the number of members of the tribe.
- Co-op shares are transferrable without limitation
- Co-op manages its affairs in accordance with applicable State laws of the State in which the reservation was located
Tribes will be able maintain their cultural heritage through civic and cultural organizations.
Most electricity is generated at some remote location and delivered to your home through hundreds of miles of power lines
- None of the electricity generated at these power plants is stored
- This is least efficient, and most expense, way to produce and deliver electricity
It is more efficient, and cheaper, to produce, store and use electricity at your home
- Why isn’t this done?
- High cost of buying the appliances to produce electricity at home
- Power companies would have to change business models
- We need to create tax and other incentives that make it possible for home owners to be energy independent
- Types of electricity that can be generated at home
- Other less reliable or less available options
We need to eliminate Federal Public Defenders
Court appointed attorneys should handle all Indigent Defense
–With very limited exceptions, all attorneys admitted to practice in a Judicial District should be required to register to represent Indigent Defendants. Exceptions:
- Judges, including Administrative Law Judges
- Elected Officials holding full-time elected positions
–Court assures that all attorneys are assigned on a uniform basis
–Hourly compensation for court appointed defense attorneys should be the average hourly rate for Assistant US Attorneys in the District
Market for Indigent Defense. District courts should not set-up but should allow a market for indigent defense cases to develop. I expect the market would include the following characteristics.
–The appointed attorney may sell the case to any attorney willing to buy it
–The transaction may involve either attorney paying the other for the case
–The Court may void the sale if it determines the new attorney is not competent to handle the case
–Special rules for law firms
- Law firms may designate attorneys within the firm as buying attorneys for all cases appointed to members of the firm
- Intra-firm transfers may be approved by standing order
People convicted of felonies frequently
–Are stripped of their civil rights
–Are ineligible to enter most professions or trades
–Are unable to find any employment
- Even after they have completed their sentence convicted felons are often unable to become productive members of society
- Consequently, these individuals
- Are frequently forced onto government assistance programs
- Are more likely to re-offend
We need to build a path by which convicted felons can have their civil rights restored and become productive members of society
We need to create a Civilian Conservation Corps
If a convicted felon successfully completes a term of service in the Civilian Conservation Corps
–Their civil rights should be restored
–The record of their conviction should be expunged